Certification & Exams
The C. Ped (C) certification process involves two exams – a written exam and a practical exam. Both exams are considered to be at a university level of difficulty. The written and practical exams are held on separate dates, approximately two months apart. Candidates must achieve a passing grade of 75% on the written exam to pass. Candidates must achieve passing grade of 70% for the overall examination with no section having a grade of less than 65%
A candidate is permitted three attempts at each exam (i.e. 3 attempts at written, then 3 attempts at practical) over a five-year period. After a maximum of three unsuccessful attempts at each exam, or the passing of five years, a candidate must re-qualify and restart the certification process.
C. Ped (C) – Written Exam – 3 hours
1. 150 multiple choice questions – anatomy, biomechanics/gait analysis, medical conditions & disease, assessment, footwear, orthotic manufacturing, practice management and ethics.
2. A listing of examinable content for this section can be found in the “Exam Content” section of the application (page 14).
C. Ped (C) – Practical Exam – 1.5 hours
1) The Certified Pedorthist (Canada) practical exam involves six sections:
- Assessment: History, Non-weight Bearing Evaluation & Range of Motion testing (15 Minutes)
- Assessment: Postural Evaluation, Gait Analysis & Special Testing (15 Minutes)
- Assessment: Conclusions, Patient Education & Treatment Plan (15 Minutes)
- Orthotic Treatment Plan & Fabrication Process (15 Minutes)
- Casting (15 Minutes)
- Footwear Fitting (15 Minutes)
2) Candidates must achieve passing grade of 70% for the overall examination with no individual section having a grade of less than 65%
A thorough explanation of each section of the practical exam will be provided to candidates upon successful completion of the written exam.
Note: All practical exams are videotaped for marking and appeal purposes.
C. Ped MC Exam
The C. Ped MC exam is scheduled as required.. C. Ped MC – Exam Application Form is available upon request